Friday 21 November 2014

                            A walk along the streets of stories


        We walked through the streets of Varanasi, without realizing that all the gullies led us to the ghats or more precisely to Ganga ji. It was not a day to visit the ghats. I was curious to know the people of Banaras. I wanted to know their stories on how Banaras grew as a city. What change had they seen since their childhood? What is it that holds them in this holy place? Touching upon the raw nerve I wanted to know their views on the condition of the Ganga. These were questions that came across while I was at the Banaras Hindu University IIT Guest House. 

        The entire group of students were now fairly familiar with the place but not the people. We left in groups of 4 to explore the streets. We started from the mouth of all the streets. I had considered this day to talk to people on the streets and in shops. My friends and I had taken the lane we were familiar with. Our questions hovered around Varanasi and its people and therefore we moved along together. And now the challenge was how we can initiate a conversation. I was not clear upon how I would request a person if he could answer a few of my questions. From the previous experiences my friends had, they struck a small conversation earlier in the trip but the responses were of sorts. Some people were not eager to talk, a few walked away admitting they had no time. Having this in mind I was hesitant to speak. I pushed myself to walk towards a young boy who sells tender coconuts. I started asking him general questions about his work, his love for Varanasi and when I felt that he was comfortable to answer any questions I continued. Now this was not a conversation to find answers, I let him speak. He seemed to enjoy the conversation. He spoke for 45 minutes. My last question to him was, “could you tell me a day when you were extremely happy?” this brought a smile to his face. He was shy to answer this last question. He took his time and whispered softly. He was getting married to a girl he loved since 4 years. His eyes were twinkling with joy. I wished him luck for the future and proceeded. I was content that my first conversation didn't just help me with the information I needed but left an individual smiling. In the struggle to earn a living when would one recall their joyous days?

          Strolling down the lane I came across a crowded market with many people to talk to but I didn't. The people of Varanasi are not welcoming to tourists, they are sacred that their stories and photographs are taken and published unreal. I had to make careful decision to approach someone. I was trying to understand the body language. Many walked by, who were in a hurry; a few looked away when our eyes met, people warned their neighbors not to talk to me. I didn't lose hope, I went ahead, spoke to many bought flowers and fruits so that I could converse with them. This worked out and I had a good long conversation with 6 people. Towards the end of the day I had gathered many stories. The stories primarily brought forth their journey till today in their homeland. Overall the stories accompanied life in and around the Ganga. We had a discussion once all of us returned regarding what is it that each one us would like to take ahead. We made a map of our explorations and observations which further helped me to structure what I wanted to explore in depth. Each one of had something to say from the experiences we had during the day. We gathered and shared the incidents that we faced.
         I take away my experience and those revere the beautiful stories I wouldn't have come across anywhere else.


No comments:

Post a Comment